View Single Post
Old 9th October 2013, 12:09 PM   #17
A. G. Maisey

Yuuzan

Considering its a very young pattern, could it be that it acquired a name in Bahasa Indonesia in order to appeal to more potential buyers?

I know this as a recent pamor, and I was told it was recent pamor by an mpu of the Karaton Susuhunan, but Max has told us that it was in fact made by an mpu of the Karaton Susuhunan prior to 1900.

This is the reason I would like to see a picture of what it was that Jayasukadgo III made.

So, at the moment we don't really know if this pamor is recent, or had been made a long time ago.

The name "Gebagan Agal" can be understood as "rough bunch", I think it is ngoko, not krama, and this does seem a rather peculiar name to be foisted onto a pamor made by a Karaton mpu.

But still --- stranger things have happened.

Generally speaking whenever we see a keris related name for pamor, or anything else, that is in Indonesian or Malay it indicates that we are looking at or talking about something that is recent, and not something from the past.

I doubt that the reason is because of market appeal, but rather because the people who coined the name were not familiar with either the Javanese language, or with tradition.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote