View Single Post
Old 29th January 2005, 05:34 AM   #15
Federico

Rick, Boswego's kris, and the middle kris in my pic are not true archaic style such as yours, hence the difference. They represent a mid-point between the Archaic, and the late 19th/early20th groups. Angle of the Gangya is 45 degrees, blades are larger, dapur more modern (hmm hard to describe wish I was able to post more pics), as you noted the arrowhead region is shallower. At least thats how I like to think about it. 3 identifiable ages of Moro kris, pre-1930. Archaic (such as yours), mid-point (Boswego's and the middle kris in my group), and 19th/early20th century (the vast majority of Kris we discuss here). Anyways, along with Nechesh, I must admit everytime you post that kris of yours I need a mop to clean up all the drool

BluErf. Exactly and kinda. The story Ive always been told, was that older kris had larger deeper luks. As kris start to get larger, the luks shallow out and start becoming tighter in placement (Mindanao kris tending to have shallower luks that Sulu kris). Soooo...the idea that luk inflation played into this phenomena does sound very plausible. Another factor could be the introduction of greater amounts and higher quality steel in later periods (Spanish rails, US wagon springs, etc... in later periods vs. Chinese Iron pots, British wrought iron balls, etc... in earlier), perhaps made a less intensive and more maleable working material. What Ive always been told, while a kris with a high luk count may have more power, only those individuals with great personal power would be eligible to wield them, on the supernatural as well as practical level. Lotsa luks, supposedly harder to cut with (I dunno Ive always had fun manipulating my higher luk kris, but then again Ive never had to manipulate through actual intended mediums). Hmm...I have the feeling I went off on a tangent, and didnt actually make a good response. I apologize if Im coming from way out in left field.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote