View Single Post
Old 28th December 2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Slave trading is a sensitive topic but one most are versed to some degree in when researching the history of weapons.
Looking at the very long history of Arab/African slavery, right up until very modern times I see the influence of these traders leaving such residue in Mandingo weapons. Many Africans took part in these trades so it seems likely also weapons of those they interacted with stayed behind.

I have lost track of edged weapons types from other regions in Mandingo dress. It seem they loved all sorts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

Gavin
Hi Gav,

I'm not throwing the idea out completely... But looking on the other side on the discussions we've had here about kattara - those in the region had actually wondered if there was influence the other way - from Africa! That's why I'm a bit on the fence about it. I'm no expert on the subject of the West African slave trade besides being familiar with the central Sahel aspects. However - My understanding from reading period sources like Barth, is that the trade in these regions was more likely to move north if not directly off the coasts and was conducted with North African Arabs and Berbers. The Oman/Zanzibar connection I haven't run across much mention of being active in West Africa rather in East Africa. And even for those that slaves that were moved east the transport and control was done by local elements like the Dyula merchants.

That is not to say Omani merchants and slavers didn't perhaps turn up in Mandingo areas - I honestly don't know enough about it, but the shape of these weapons and the relatively simple design is not something that could not be arrived at locally. In much the same way that the kattara design seems to follow the function of mounting trade blades, perhaps the same was the case for these Mandingo weapons.

There are also a lot of variants with them, different styles to the pommel pieces and from deeper into West Africa mounts with more pronounced pommels and guards.

All the best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote