View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 05:31 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Two Very Interesting and Unusual Swords From Sumatra

I found these two pieces recently. I am attributing them both to Sumatra, though the larger one could have come from any number of places in the Indonesian archipelago, possibly. The other, with the 'long nose' pommel and guard is very specific to one region in Sumatra, but I cannot remember where....hoping VVV can help on this one.

So, what's unique, unusual, or "wierd" about them?? The larger one is huge for starters, far larger than most Sumatran parangs at 37in. overall, with a blade of 29.5in. The hilt is superb, but the eye catcher here is the likely 19th century German made blade....identical in basic style to what one would expect on a Sudanese kaskara!!! My first thoughts were that this was trade blade cut down to meet Sumatran style and specifications, but after having a sword expert(and forum member) have a look at the blade, he was convinced there was no evidence that this was ever "cut down", and he believed was manufactured in this manner for trade to Indonesian markets. I cannot vouch for that, but one thing is certain....trade was certainly involved and that's what I find so interesting.

The smaller one is more typical in size to a standard Sumatran parang. The hilt is unique in that I believe normally the elongated "nose" is not carved so profusely. I believe the blade's pamor is a somewhat rare "death shroud" pattern. Again, I am looking for a more specific attribution for this one.

Comments and input are welcomed!
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote