Thread: Lantaka
View Single Post
Old 20th December 2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Naga Basuki

Location: Big old machine shop/foundry/warehouse in Atlanta GA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico
For a moment I thought you were gonna fire the spear out of the cannon. Beautiful stuff. Are you planning on firing it? I can only imagine what the neighbors would say, then again all my neighbors think me strange for trimming my bushes with what to them are giant knives.
Kinda looks like a Lantaka Harpoon Gun! But no, keeping the Budiak!

Am thinking about firing one of the others. But there seems to be a restrictive new gov't reg on black powder. Looking into getting some Pyrodex (FG or coarse cannon grade).

I live in downtown Atlanta in a converted warehouse with neighbors on three sides even though I have a bit of land around me, however on the fourth side, nobody can see, but they can sure hear. And there is a lot of smoke even from Pyrodex.

Waiting until New Years. Atlanta goes nuts with fireworks and I may set one off, but probably not this Spanish Cannon pictured, I suspect an old repair to the barrell.

I have another Lantaka that is very sturdy. Certainly made for fighting. A "Spiral" model that is bigger and heavier, but has a small bore. Should easily stand the stress. The Spiral is on the outside, all Lantakas are smoothbore.

But Cannon stress is always a question and tragic accidents have occurred.

http://www.ohsu.edu/croet/face/reports/2003-20-01.pdf

Cast Iron cannon are much more likely to explode. One expert told me that ALL cast iron cannons would one day explode as the metal fatigued. The big difference in bronze and cast iron is that bronze ruptures while cast iron turns into deadly shrapnel.

A problem with early cannoneers was that they were always trying for more range, bigger charges. However with a cast iron cannon crew the amount that was too much was usually unknown because when too much was used, the cannon exploded and took the crew with it! There were also diffrences in black powder composition and casting. Dangerous business.

I would use a small charge and no projectile, but I'll take some pictures!
Naga Basuki is offline   Reply With Quote