View Single Post
Old 10th February 2013, 09:11 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

The combination of a Naga and monkey in Balinese symbolism is a confusing one. If we assume the monkey to be Hanuman, and the serpent to be the Naga Basuki (Vasuki) , both of which assumptions are probably more likely than any assignment of different characters to these figures, then it becomes a matter of searching for some connection between the two in Hindu-Balinese stories. Personally, I do not know of any such connection, so it possibly gets back to a matter of some personal or local iconography.

I have heard, or read, one story where Hanuman and Basuki appear together, but in my memory I do not associate this story with Bali, I've forgotten what the association is. Briefly it goes something like this:- when Basuki was being used as the churning rope Hanuman was involved in pulling on Basuki's tail --- along with Rawana and a cast of other characters. This in itself is a peculiar combination of characters, because in the original Bhagavatapurana, Hanuman and Rawana do not get a run in the story. But as I said, I do not associate this story with Bali; possibly it belongs in one of the other Hindu influenced cultures of SE Asia. Pretty sure its not mainstream Hindu.

However, the one thing that this combination of characters does demonstrate is that the keris upon which they appear is without doubt a very young one, as this iconography has moved away from traditional socio-religious application.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote