View Single Post
Old 18th April 2005, 02:57 PM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Thanks Derek

The piece you are referring to is a pisau raut or rattan knife, which we discussed on the old Forum. These are still being made -- basically they are a tool for cutting rattan.

The present chopper is considerably larger with a much more substantial blade. The pisau is a small knife and could certainly cause a nasty cut if used as a weapon, but this chopper could inflict a much heavier and potentially lethal blow. Possibly the same general idea in construction design, but the chopper is definitely a "magnum" compared with the pisau.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek
Guys this looks like an asian item listed as ceremonial on ebay right now. Yours appears to be much longer, but it is the same shape.On the current auction, there is a "sheath" of bamboo that curves, with a cut away section in the middle where the blade and shaft rest. The ends of the sheath are connected by a cord, which gives it a look reminiscient of a loosely strung bow. I have seen this, possibly in Stone's, but I don't have it in front of me at the moment. Maybe someone else will find it first.

When the auction is over I will post the item number.

-derek
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote