View Single Post
Old 8th February 2007, 05:32 PM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Hi Lew,

It is an interesting question you ask, and I am not sure how to answer it, but let me try.

I very, very seldom use a machine like a Dremel when I have to clean weapons, as it either suddenly slips, and you are polishing a place which should not be polished, or you have suddenly been polishing too much on one spot, so I do it all by hand. Endless hours of work, but I know where I am, and how far I still have to go. If you have a look at the attached ‘Before and after’ picture, you can try to imagine how many hours I used – but it paid off.

Is the blade burnished, like many of these blades are? If it is, and even if it is not, I hope someone like Jeff, Greg or someone ease will answer the question, as they are far better judges when it comes to answer this than I am. If I had it and I had it in my hand, I would judge for myself what to do, but advising someone else when you are not a weapon smith, is quite another matter.
Jens, it looks like someone took a grinding wheel to your sword also; good job removing the scratches !

I wonder now after seeing two Bikaner marked swords with grind marks if they might possibly have used a wheel to put an edge on munitions grade swords before they were issued for battle; it certainly would have provided a rough but effective cutting edge .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote