View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:41 AM   #4
F. de Luzon

You're welcome Ian. I found it interesting that each blade is distinct from the others. Although they appear the same, they are different in weight and balance. Some are light and flimsy, others are bulky and heavy. The variations in blade shape, thickness and grind account for this. The hilt size and weight is also not consistent. Each knife thus has its own personality and one has to find the one that feels right in the hand or one that suits one's specific needs.

These examples do not compare to antique Ilocano knives that I've handled. In general they are still well made but these are unrefined. The attention to detail is not the same. The bolsters are not as nice and the carving in the handles are very rough. I've seen older examples of the Santa pommel that are well detailed. Where human features are carefully carved unlike the examples shown here. I'll try to post pictures of those better examples. Anyway, I guess these are not made to impress aesthetically. They are everyday working tools that are meant to last but not to be displayed. They may not be refined but they will certainly get the job done. Nonetheless, I wish that the traditional quality was retained. Like I said, these new ones do not compare to the antiques.

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 3rd June 2018 at 02:31 PM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote