View Single Post
Old 20th January 2016, 07:47 PM   #177
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default The al Wusta Khanjar.

Salaams, Please note the website below detail showing many excellent details about Omani Khanjars and at the top of the web page you will find different types to peruse.

One form is the al Wusta which is clearly the link style through the port of Sur (and with similarities to the Sur khanjar form) down to Red Sea Regions in particular the style I call Habaabi. This form appears to explain the odd looking 7 ring Khanjar in the famous book by Ruth Hawley; Omani Silver that on the face of it seemed to be an interloper...but which I now identify as Al Wusta as well. See #169 on this thread. The al Wusta is distinct in its likeness to the Bu Saidi Royal Form but more meaty looking though tantalising in that above the belt is the UUUUUUU decorative form also the style of decoration on the Flowermen type in the Asir / Habaabi form.

It is my view that at the time of the Said the Great this style migrated and froze...in the Asir (on the sea route to and from Zanzibar) when the Asir was part of The Yemen but since 1923 has been in a virtual time warp hibernation and as a part of Saudia.

I leave my explanation here to be examined by Forum... and invite input. The Al Wusta.

Please see http://khanjar.om/Parts.html

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 20th January 2016 at 08:02 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote