View Single Post
Old 27th June 2014, 06:05 PM   #169
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Constructive comments are always welcome so please join in. Voltaire is reputed to have said......"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!!".

Salaams All...Under scrutiny right now is the picture of a Muscat Khanjar at one of the most important references ~ Ruth Hawleys Omani Siver. This remains one of the best resource publications possibly ever and over the last 36 years...even though it is a small pamphlet its historical data is impeccable.

One picture, however, remains rather grainy and difficult to decipher.. The picture is below.. Is it A Muscat Khanjar or in fact a very similar weapon of KSA proportions...? From Al Hasa?? Note that the first questions were recieved from Stu who has quite rightly questioned the point about this weapon being from KSA and on another thread recently Richard G has me focussed on the possibility of a rogue illustration in what was virtually a sacrasanct publication..The problem being that Muscat Khanjars are very rare... but anyway what does Ruth Hawley say about it~

In fact she never mentions Muscat... That mistake is all mine !

She says~ Quote "A beautifully and traditionally decorated Khanjar.showing the blade . This one was probably made in the Sharqiyah and it is in particularly good condition. The handle is entirely covered with silver, and it has an inscription on the back. The decoration which forms the centre of the pattern of squares and appears at the end of the curve is made of silver balls forming a pyramid; this is typical of work all over Oman". Unquote.

I think it is worth considering that it may be from KSA; Al Hasa.

What concerns me is the woven silver beneath the rings and the loop UUUUUU
style pattern above the rings. The dagger at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18700 is similar. More red lights flash up when considering the belt which is not typically Omani. The huge turn in the scabbard would tend to point to KSA style, however, these factors may still be coincidental and more research is needed...It is apparently inscribed at the back but I haven't seen the actual item (in itself inscriptions are not unknown in Omani work but it is not at all usual). The dagger does not appear in the latest doctrine on Omani Khanjars. Mulberry fruit cluster silver ball decoration and square geometry are not specific to Oman.

Comments welcome.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th June 2014 at 07:10 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote