View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 07:08 AM   #155
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Lat point first if I may; I think that is what Forum largely extends to itself and its members;... opinions. On occasions important details are uncovered sometimes sources are called into question. It is not for me to consider your source since it is not one I have to hand...however I would be surprised if it states that the Muscat Khanjar in Ruth Hawleys publication is from Saudia..and that the style of weapon seen and worn in the Asir is from the east...when it is clearly of the Muscat design..What exactly does your reference state?

As I have noted what needs to be done is a brief study of the Al Ahsa work and then to compare where required.. What you may find(though without wanting to pre empt ) is that the Al Ahsa may be related to Omani work and for similar reasons... i.e. trade with the Bahrain region ...not just a name coined to describe the Islands but a large slice of the mainland in which the oasis of Al Ahsa is located..

Regarding the Muscat Khanjar in Ruth Hawleys work..it is presented as a more turned scabbard. That is how it looks in her publication...I have not seen the actual item. In this case could there be some camera angle play going on?...or was that particular Khanjar made deliberately with a greater turn in the scabbard?...It could be simply a bigger curve built in as a one off... I simply don't know...or that Muscati daggers tended to be made with bigger curves.
There is no mention of Ruth Hawley in the Saudia information...it simply shows a pic of a similar khanjar, and a statement that origin is Al Ahsa.

I would point out here that the caption against the khanjar in Ruth Hawley's book does not anywhere mention Muscat. In fact she says that the item was probably made in the Sharqiyah, which appears quite some distance from Muscat. I am assuming therefore that any mention of Muscat has originated from yourself? Do you have concrete/iron clad information to confirm this?

I am somewhat confused in relation to your comment about "islands" in relation to Al Ahsa. As far as I can establish, Al Ahsa is the area of modern day Saudi Arabia against the Omani border, and nowhere near the sea. Maybe my geography is a little astray, but I don't think so......
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote