Thread: Mau Mau gun.
View Single Post
Old 15th February 2009, 07:49 AM   #17
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
I think it would be much easier, mechanically, to use a rimmed round, .380 or .303, rather than a rimless, 9mm, one and possibly easier to source as, if I remember correctly, the only British weapon at that time to use a 9mm round was the Sten/Sterling. The European farmers etc. would have used a more eclectic range of calibres but I would think 9mm would still be less evident than some others. In the end the insurgents would have used whatever they could get a hold of.
Regards,
Norman.
yes i would think so to,, but ive seen many that are chambered fro 9mm ammo!!! remember the sten gun was a most common police gun as were the bronwing pistols and also other 9mm hand guns being in common ownership,
ive seen many in .380 revolver ammunition also, just the 2 i had were 9mm as there was no place for a rim and they worked with a slamming bolt!
and to be honest the way the 9mm round works is by slam fire on some of these arms is alarming to say the least. ofcorse, now that i think of it ,, it being a slam fire,

ahhhh..maybe i am wrong, it was along time ago, .the guy i got it from said they were shooting stengun ammunition throught them they had stolen, i got 2 if the pistols from a gun collector who have been in kenya in the 50s..
it was proably also firing the .380 ammo as the firing pin was fixed it wouldnt matter if there was a rim or not.. i never tryed to fire one of these guns, ..

here you can seeing PNG the home made gund from the highlanders, sorry i didnt have time to find pictures, some are loaded by moving the hole barrel others are break open guns like normal shotguns,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-zEQgVkQZg
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote