View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
"The design of the jerz is not a copy of any other hatchet from any part of the world or from any period in history"

Well, it is far from being unique:-)

It is remarkably similar to the Carpathian shepherd's axe, - Valaska, Fokos etc, depending on whether the owner is Czech, Hungarial, Ukrainian ( Hutsul ) etc.

Mountain climbers even now use modifications of an ancient Alps shepherd's implement, the Alpenstock.

Possibly, the Jerz originated in the mountain areas of the region as a walking stick/ tool and the owners kept using it even during there yearly migrations to the coastal areas.

Oh I quite agree Ariel...which is why I said "In General terms this was an interesting article" .. In my opinion axes are much more broadly spread than the newspaper writer could possibly have imagined...I studied Luristani Axes for a while and the linkages to other tribal styles is potentially vast... The Axe is spread more widely even in the Arabian peninsular as stated the North Eastern desert of the Omani Wahabi region has its own version... not as decorated but of the same shape and style..Axes go on and on...via the saddle axe form and ad infinitum..
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote