View Single Post
Old 21st January 2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

You chaps are making my head swell too much. It is true that I have been looking with a vigor into non-ferrous metals in sub-saharan Africa. I also make my living being involved with bronze casting. It looks like bronze to me which in the most basic form is copper and tin as already mentioned. I think Lew is spot on with the western sahara/sahel. The cresent marks are common on many of the blades finished with stamped leather handles and scabbards from Mali and so on.

It is true that bronze, brass, and copper are or have been very special metals. This example only dislays the skill of the smith in forming the blade which would be stock in trade. This could make me think it is latter in production. The maker may not have had access to more skilled engravers? I am reluctant to say anything about age excpet the normal 19/early 20th century. Cearly it has not been made for a high chieftian of royal household but poor people do have culture just the same. Shame there is no haft which might help with showing age. I think it is easy to buy spear head on holiday in Africa?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote