View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:29 PM   #26
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Manolete,

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
... Hilts and pommels_are often replaced because of hand-sweat's salinity. And due to the different steel qualities, swords retrieved from churches or tombs often needed to have both replaced...
A reason you didn't mention is the decision to substitute (not replace) the pommel in order to alter the sword's center of balance. Suppose the owner was a fencer and wished to have a different (better) handling controll?
Or suppose this pommel was a family heirloom and he was honoured to mount it in his sword?
But i am only digressing ... for reasons connected with this pommel being the discussion "battle horse" or, in other words, the "pommel of the question"

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
...To me, the pommel looks good, but it might be a replacement. How easy was it to replace a pommel?
Nando, is the sword well balanced? If its not, there we have the answer...
I am not the right person to tell you that; besides not being a fencer, i am a forced left hander. But yes, i find it quite maneuvrable, with such a long blade and the center of balance rather close from the guard. Mind you, the hilt complex (ricasso+grip+pommel) is quite lengthy, with its 20 cms (8").
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote