View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In my earlier post I mentioned that there were of course distinct affiliations between Germany and England in the 17th century, and the Hounslow factory was begun with German swordsmiths brought there by invitation by the English king about the time of the English Civil Wars.

I agree that the metal used in various components would result in different types and stages of corrosion and wear. As noted, the rewrapping and refurbishing of hilts often accounts for the somewhat composite nature of rapiers typically found. These swords were often reworked as they, like many weapons, often had service life which lasted beyond a single generation.

Once again returning to the multinational nature of these components, the shells in the guard, which are as agree of pappenheimer style, in the pierced openwork seem to reflect a quatrefoil shape. While obviously an architectural feature often used widely, it brings to mind ecclesiastical style, and reminds me of that in many English churches.

I do hope this suggestion might be considered as I would like to know if the shape of these designs might be relevenant in possible further English origin for this rapier.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote