View Single Post
Old 1st November 2010, 11:41 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you all, Gentlemen.
It is no surprise that the wire wrap may not be the original one, as so often happens. I don't think however that it is a modern work, but has probably taken place during its service life. It is a perfect job, with a rather intrincate wiring and embelished with two little turk heads.
Concerning the pommel; reading Norman and checking on type #36, mentions are made on this fluted variation to appear in Brithish illustrations. But checking on plates #49 and #51, we observe these types mounted on swept hilt swords of North European origin. Also in the Wallace Collection we find these pommels, for instance A 627 and A 630. Reading the respective notes, we notice that, the first is mounted on a Milanese swept hilt sword and the second also on a Italian example.
We know that the rigour of these things deserves a pinch of salt. It might be that, for experts, this pommel may look inapt in this sword, but i happen to like it and am glad that it is a period item, nobody stating the contrary ... plus its self speaking aged texture.
Oh, i see that, while i build this response, Cornelistromp has posted his opinion on this piece.
Let me digest what he has to say about it.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote