View Single Post
Old 11th February 2007, 07:02 PM   #11
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Freddy,
I agree these are functional ....not only because of the thickness/sharpness of the blade but also the design of the handle. Mine (when looking down on the spine of the knife) has one side of the handle (the left side) in line with the blade....the right side has a different angle making it fatter than the right. It seems that mine is designed for a right-handed person ...as it sits nicely in the palm and the blade points straight forward Using it left-handed puts the blade at a slight angle and is not as comfortable.
I havent got one of these but on Yemini Jambiya for example it is typical to have the right hand side of the handle more swollen & rounded & particularily fatter near the pommel than the flat left hand side, which is then left nearer to paralel with the blade.

I have an Afghan sabre that follows the same right handed approach as well. I dont think its an unusual concept, I think I have seen similar in Nazi daggers?

Whether historicaly this is for hand fit or perhaps just greater comfort in a piece worn against the body I have no idea. But to me it seems to serve both functions.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote