View Single Post
Old 13th October 2019, 03:06 AM   #21
Chris Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
According to a compadre, the book mentioned is good for nice pics and there is some good info in it if you read Spanish but most of the info in it about certain knives from certain regions is wrong, an Italian expert has co-authored books in Italy along with his mentor has told my mutual friend that this book did have some good info in it but should not be used as a definitive source of info for researching navaja's. We were discussing it a few days ago outside the forum in relation to one he was considering. Anyway, I cannot as yet discuss it tho it looks very similar to the one originally posted, tho with a blonde horn grip and appears to be smaller. It is inscribed with a dedication mentioning Sevilla and dated in the mid 19c.
Interesting. Which of the two of Forton's books referred to was your source criticizing?

Quote:
......but most of the info in it about certain knives from certain regions is wrong,<snip>
Any specific examples?

As a generalization, antique Spanish folding knives are very difficult to identify because the majority are undated and do not carry the maker's name. This was attributed to the harasement and persecution of the cutlers by the authorities of the day.

Quote:
....has told my mutual friend that this book did have some good info in it but should not be used as a definitive source of info for researching navaja's.
So what does he suggest as better alternatives?

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chris Evans; 13th October 2019 at 06:02 AM.
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote