View Single Post
Old 4th April 2018, 09:22 PM   #4
JamesKelly

Might say ". . . APPOINTMENT" in top lettering. I need to dig out my binocular microscope to examine it better

"Modern" for the case is, I believe 19th rather than 20th century. It just does not look like 20th century work.

Original 1530 - 1630 miniature wheellock pistols not uncommonly had a brass frame with iron/steel lock & barrel. Some by Michael Mann had the brass gilded, and were engraved all over. This is my internet learning.

I'm no expert in wheellock miniatures. The only one I ever personally saw was made by the late Herschal Kopp, Maryland about 1963 or '64. His son was in dentistry, investment cast the frame in gold for him.

Really the barrel of this one troubles me most. The round half appears to have been lathe turned. Half a lifetime ago I made a 1/3 scale matchlock musket & full size flint pistol with half-octagon barrels. I accomplished this with a file, works fine but the finish differs from machine work. Also the ferrous metal in this wheellock shows no slag lines at all, such as might be expected in old wrought iron. I am an antique gun collector, and a metallugist with interest in historical metallurgy. Kinda like seeing the evidence of mediocre wrought iron in my 1812 Harpers Ferry musket.

I was hoping the label might bring something to mind. Will try looking under "Burlington"
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote