View Single Post
Old 4th April 2018, 03:36 PM   #1
JamesKelly

Default Small wheel lock pistol

I bought this as an antique miniature. So my question - is the pistol itself an original piece from the early 16th or 17th century? Or might it be of 19th century origin?

It is an actual functioning firearm, though presumably made for decorative purposes rather than serious use. The wheel is connected to a spring – I am not inclined to wind it all the way. The screw holding the dog to the lock-plate is loose, I fear it may come apart. The pistol is made of all iron (steel?) and yellow brass, no gold plating. That little button that releases the pan cover is a reddish color, presumably red brass or bronze

Dimensions are 4-1/2” (114mm) diagonal length, 2-13/16” (71mm) half round barrel .186” (4.7mm) cal. Weight just under 6 ounces (170grams)

It is fitted in a black leather covered hinged wooden case with push button latch. The case is likely of 19th century manufacture, and certainly not 17th century.

I cannot read the gold lettering inside the case lid, my best guess is the lettering ends in “. . . INGTON & Co “
Attached Images

JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote