View Single Post
Old 13th May 2015, 02:24 AM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'm really bad at finding pics etc. but what I mean is that on rapiers it seems the guard of course is at the base of the blade, and the ricasso extends to the bottom of the grip. In other words there is a section where the fingers extend past the grip and around the block section. With the cuphilt for example, the cup is at the blades end, and inside there are pas d'ane rings adjacent to the ricasso......then the grip starts beyond that.

In this type of tang, the grip is right at the blade base, there is no ricasso to be visible inside the cup or guard.
Fernando can explain this better

The symbol you show here is the cross and orb, while somewhat related to the 'anchors' in having cross symbolism, is not what I mean by the symbol on your blade.
The cross and orb relate mostly to German blades, and though often suggested 'makers marks' are usually used in conjunction with various names, invocations or other inscriptions on blades. This is very much like the way the 'anchors' were used on Spanish blades, and used in Solingen with other spuriously used punzones, names and phrases.

On the Aiala name, just an observation as the name is spelled differently on various occasions so interjection of the 'de' might be correct. Just seemed notable.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote