View Single Post
Old 6th December 2013, 01:59 AM   #4
ariel

Elgood's book was underwritten by rich Greek collectors who, undobtedly, wanted to specifically promote genuinely Greek weapons. Not for nothing it was called "Arms of Greece and her Balkan neighbors":-) But in reality this book is about any other Balkan weapons, with Greece playing only minor role.

The paucity of genuinely Greek weapons was astonishing; history of Greece - yes, heroes - yes, but weapons..... not much.

I think the interpretation of old geography vs. current political maps played some role. Albania and Montenegro were richly presented, but their contribution was clearly separated from the the Greece proper. Perhaps, there was no real weapon industry in Greece proper, with, - conceivably? - some silversmithing being an exception?

I do not think Elgood's sponsors were happy with the final result. But I do not for a second cast any doubt on his scientific integrity. Unquestionably, he had very good reasons. However, I had a feeling that he was very cautious and almost evasive in not discussing Greek role in weapon manufacture, compensating by major emphasis on their War of Independence, trade, politics, personal heroism etc.

BTW, if something was truly shortchanged, IMHO, it was the heroic resistance of Skanderbeg, George Kastriotis. But he was an Albanian, wasn't he? :-)

Last edited by ariel; 6th December 2013 at 02:13 AM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote