View Single Post
Old 13th March 2023, 07:22 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
Thank you for the feedback Jim, the basket does have a couple of unique features that does make it stand out. Not least that it's brass when the majority are steel (At least until the 1798 Pattern).

Another is that the typical loops found at the front of the guard are missing and there is no sign that they've been broken off.

However, I have seen another example of the exact same hilt style on a broadsword blade:
Absolutely my pleasure! and fascinating as I look further into this. I found some more on the apparent attraction of gilt brass hilts for officers swords in about third quarter 18th c. and these fashionably dressed forms.

In "Small Swords and Military Swords" by the late A.V.B.Norman (1967).
Example #6, a spadroon, 1763-64 with silver hilt. Note the character of the hilt, pommel and scrolled quillons.

Then an example I have of a British dragoon officers sword c.1775 stamped READ in guard (Read was a Dublin outfitter), and a similar example shown in Southwick...both with brass hilts, wire wrapped ivory grips, note pommels gadrooned.

These illustrate the ornate character of the period where the fashion of the small sword (and spadroon) lent to other hilts as well.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote