View Single Post
Old 12th March 2023, 07:00 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is truly a wonderful acquisition! and these hilts, as noted known colloquially by collectors as the 'pinch of snuff' style are not often seen, though well known. The elaborate styling and character is of the Stirling form, and interesting in brass. It seems that brass in Scottish hilts did exist c.1720s however it was more favored for officers dress swords.

While in Scottish form, this would be more a Hanoverian example, and the wire wrapped rayskin grip, and form altogether remind me of a British dragoon officers sword with branched guard I had many years ago, also in brass contrary to other examples of its form in iron.

The phrase 'pinch of snuff' of course refers to the c.1760 painting by William Delacour of an officer of the 78th or Fraser's Regiment of Highlanders, in which a sword with similar hilt is seen. While the history of this regiment is complex, as noted by Anthony Darling in "A Relic of the First Raising (1757-1763) of Frasers Highlanders" ('Arms Collecting' Vol.24, #4, Nov. 1986), the painting by Delacour was intended as a homage to Malcom MacPherson of the 78th Regt.

This form of hilt was deemed a 'military' pattern, though it was by no means regulation, though clearly favored by officers of these times (during the Seven Years War).

Other excerpts attached are from "Blades of Glory: Swords of the Scottish Infantry 1756-1900", Stephen Wood , in 'Book of Edged Weapons' 1997.

"Scottish Swords and Dirks", John Wallace, 1970. #44.

It seems likely this is a heirloom blade, as often were mounted in current hilts by officers in Scottish regiments. This blade is remarkable, and in unusual fuller pattern in which the name, lettering and manner are quite consistent with 17th c. English blades.
The Latin type manner in wording is like that seen on Hounslow blades of the 1630s, with the use of ANNO in following apparently with the Solingen convention of this date associated word used by Iohannes Stam for example on blade ANNO 1612. However other examples of ANNO are found with the magic numeric palindrome 1414, obviously not a date.

I have not found a THOMAS HUMFFRIES in any of my references, but the spelling is consistent with other names and widely variant spellings in this English convention of placing names on blades. It seems possible that he might have worked in the Oxford manufactory in London where many of the Hounslow workers are alleged to have gone after Cromwells take over.
Perhaps Southwick (which I do not have handy at the moment) might reveal this name.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 12th March 2023 at 08:57 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote