View Single Post
Old 12th January 2022, 03:52 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Espada ancha -Nuevo Laredo

In keeping with what I have asked here, I am going through old notes (Ive been on this topic since early 90s and earlier) and am trying to add what I can to the examples I have.

This example was located in Houston some years ago, and said to be from the Nuevo Laredo region. (#3 from top in OP).
This is of course the famed Laredo, Texas which is right on the Rio Grande.
As a settlement of New Spain, it was founded in 1755 as Villa de San Agustin de Laredo. This was named for the city of Laredo in Cantabria, Spain.

In 1840 this became the capital of the Independent Republic of Rio Grande which was in opposition to Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna.
In 1846 it was occupied by Texas Rangers, and later Laredo became Texas territory, while Nuevo Laredo in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas was across the Rio Grande .

What is noticeable is the familiar uptick at the point of these 19th c. espadas which I was told in conversations in 2003 with Enrique Guerrera of Texas, was responsible for these on the frontiers being called 'frog stickers'.

Also notable is the artwork inscribed in the blade, which I am hoping might compare to other material culture regionally and give us more on regional attribution.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote