View Single Post
Old 24th April 2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Good point Gene, but I dont fully agree.. It is still possible that this is a made up (or mish mash) piece but there are differences between this blade and modern indian ones, but the most obvious is the lack of an indian ricasso thingy.

I am no expert in the field of patterns, but it seems to me that the blade is old, was heavily rusty, cleaned and then etched. The pattern can be seen moving consistantly between "normal" parts and the pitted parts as if it isnt effected by the age wear which have created the pitting. The blade tip seems to be reshaped.

Regardless, I like the piece anyways, probably was a looker back in the day ;-)

Hi Lotfy,

They are hand made and individual items mate. There are blank damascus tulwar blades with no ricasso for sale on everyones favourite auction site right now (more steeply curved).
I don't see any areas of corrosion that would indicate a long period of oxidisation. I could produce that effect in a very short time, a few weeks at most.
But like I say, just my 2p! I could be wrong.

Best
Gene

P.S. here's one from completed items, not for sale now (previosly sold) so it doesn't breech the rules for posting.
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote