View Single Post
Old 17th May 2017, 08:59 AM   #5
Tordenskiold1721

The wire wrap on this relic looks somewhat new. With the severe rust damage to the hilt and blade. The wooden grip on such a damaged rapier is often in an condition were it no longer is able to support a firm seated wire wrap.

Good example of trying to make a earth find looking pitted rather than just rust damage. On the positive side, the hilt and blade still has its shape clearly visible.

If we take away the composite pommel that we can see has been acid treated to look rusty like the rest of the rust, I would place this as a foot soldiers rapier from the 30 year war. With a slight room for error as we don't know the length and weight.

Fernado's rapier is of the "Munich" town guard "type" and is about 20- 30 years earlier and has a solid blade intended for use from the horse.

Great example of Rust, composite, new parts and acid forgery all in one. Following remarks such as it has been in my family for centuries or my wife thinks I have to many, is company comments with composites and forgeries.

Last edited by Tordenskiold1721; 17th May 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Tordenskiold1721 is offline   Reply With Quote