View Single Post
Old 12th May 2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting comments, and I think the term best describing these is probably 'unique', as while they typically are remarkably similar in their overall appearance, they are often deeply nuanced in many of the shapes, sizes and decorative devices .

Whenever I see a flyssa, quite honestly the first thing in my mind is Emanuel!! I think this man has studied these fascinating weapons far more than anyone else I have ever known. We've had great discussions here on these over many years.

The thing on flyssa is that they are actually a kind of traditional icon among these Berber tribes in these Algerian regions, and as I have understood serve as a kind of 'rite of passage' for young men. While the traditional motif of linear fibular triangles and other characteristic features seem to prevail in most cases, there are singular devices as seen here which seem to be more custom designed for individuals or perhaps groups. Indeed these are not 'heraldic' but I believe amuletic and in accord with the context of the traditional motif which is also talismanic.

While most of the tribes of the Iflyssen groups remained independent of the Ottoman rulers, they were deeply influenced by their weapons, and while the young men highly favored the yataghans, it seems that these 'unique' and now indigenous 'flyssa' were developed as local versions influenced by the earlier forms of yataghan.

The possibly earlier example flyssa linked by Emanuel is most interesting, and the linear motif along the back of the blade seems to relate perhaps to the Byzantine type motifs often seen in these cultures. It has been extremely difficult to establish chronology and origins of the flyssa, and as Emanuel has pointed out some time ago, they were in dramatic decline by the latter years of the 19th c.
I think the first recorded use of the word 'flyssa' was around 1827, and the earliest 'provenanced' example I have ever found was captured by the French Foreign Legion c. 1857 (?).

Thank you for sharing this very sturdy looking example Weapons27, and I hope there will be more discussion on these interesting swords here.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote