View Single Post
Old 9th September 2010, 08:25 PM   #21
Henk

Kai, you're welcome. No, certainly no sandpaper. I would in this case ruin the entire piece. I'm not so fond of sandpaper, because you whipe out a great part of history. I only wanted to remove the paint and that worked rather well with the nailpolish remover. I will try this weekend to see if i can get the grain of the wood better, but i won't use agressive stuff on it. Not necessary at all. And i will soke the blade in the juice to clean it off rust and the paint remains.
That will do better justice to the blade.

BigG, I also prefer natural ways in cleaning. Lemon- and pineapplejuice give very good results on blades. And for wood i also try to avoid agressive chemicals. Take your time. Bringing back an abused piece is fun and makes the piece more valueable in my opinion. Emotionaly not in value. When using agressive chemicals always keep in mind, when something is gone it will never come back.

Sajen, such a tip is often painted. Always study and look at comparable pieces before jumping in and discover you wiped something out that should be there. The hilt and scabbard top of my sewar was maid of a nice dark wood. The black paint shouldnt be there.
Btw, I have a sewar with a similar tip. Also black painted.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote