View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 03:26 PM   #38
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I really dont think that the African hilts from either Mali or anywhere else influenced the Omani hilt, as I had mentioned earlier, in my opinion the simple cylindrical style hilt without guard seems more likely applied in Africa with the diffusion of the Omani swords worn by traders.
As far as the 'style' itself, of the long kattara.....it is not as far as I can see and actual 'development' but a reduction in style from the more structured form of the kattara with quilloned guard.

An analogy, if I may, would be for example if considering colors, black is complex, actually an amalgam of colors, while white is actually an absence of color. In this case, developed structure has given way to simpler form more as a matter of convenience and viability in adapting the now available trade blades. While by no means am I discounting the simple attractiveness of the 'long kattaras' , it is just viewing thier development pragmatically.

Naturally, this 'design' would be suitably embellished and adorned in the case of the extremely status and image conscious merchants, and influenced other imitators accordingly.

With the 'gurade' or European style sabre in Abyssinia/Ethiopia, it was not a case of these people adopting the style influentially as much as it was that these swords were produced in entirity for the forces of Abyssinia. Again, it is a matter of availability and opportunity, as well as admittedly in degree that Westernization of many armies colonially and globally, was becoming well known by the mid to latter 19th century. Though the 'gurade' was indeed supplied to the Abyssinian military as produced by German manufacturers, the blades of sabre form produced in England and Germany were still mounted locally in the rhino horn hilts of the favored ancestral swords, the shotel.

The fact that many of these British and German blades are known to appear on swords often hilted in Yemen, and if I recall correctly from earlier discussions, often ended up there more for the rhino horn hilts than anything else...the blades being remounted locally there. These are typically recognized by of course the familiar Abyssinian 'Lion of Judah' and Amharic script (ge'ez) on the blades.

I am inclined to think that the style of fighting with sword and buckler of course, in itself, dates far into antiquity, and cannot be relegated to Omani invention, though thier practice of it certainly became as well known because of the described 'dancing' and exaggerated performance of martial skills.
As I earlier noted, this same type of crouching, leaping and parrying is well known in many other regions outside Omani influence, and developed probably in similar fashion. Different characteristics of course would likely be seen, and naturally the terms describing it will vary somewhat, but basically it will be the same type of technique.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote