View Single Post
Old 11th April 2018, 01:46 PM   #7
drac2k

The ginunting ( I didn't know what it was until kai identified it), I tend to think that it is older than mid-century for several reasons. The definition that I found for this item was as a jungle machete, however, in my estimation, it is too heavy to be practical for this use.Next, the item is simple, but very well made and not with aluminum fittings, but with brass and copper and I believe that the mid-century ones tended to be smaller and the guard done away with.The workmanship of the handle and the guard is also consistent with other examples of early 20th century swords that I have encountered.
The Ilokano Kris(thanks for identifying it), I have no problem with the age you ascribed it, however, I wouldn't be surprised if it dated significantly older.
In regards to the Mandayan Bolo(Also a first for me until Rick, Ron, and Battera told me what it was), is startling to hear the general consensus that it is the newest of the three.To me, the quality and the simple beauty of the blade, which to me is one of the most elegant forms that I have held, to be made by a wartime smith or after is unexpected.
Thanks for comments and imput !
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote