Thread: Keris Bahari?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Ariel, if you are looking for exact delineation lines between these 3 form you will not find them. Bahari is the short form (approx. 9-12 in.), anak alang is the medium form (approx. 14-17 in.) and panang is the long form (approx. 18-22 in.). There is always room for argument for blades that fall close to either form. At 18.5 inch though, i feel confident in saying that your keris is not a bahari. At that length i would call it a keris pajang though someone might say it is a longer anak alang.
The classification given by David is commonly accepted but by no way universal nor guaranteed. I don't want to confuse the matter but just say that it may also be different in Sumatra and Malaysia respectively.
For those of you who are interested, you can refer to the Ensiklopedi Keris pages 64 & 87, and to the book "Keris and other Malay weapons" by Gerald B. Gardner pages 19, 21, 24, 25, 27, and 45. However I have to say that the information from these books is questionable and that again the correct names are not that important
The opinion from our Malaysian or Singapore members will be appreciated.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote