Thread: Keris Bahari?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2012, 11:35 PM   #1
ariel

Default Keris Bahari?

First of all, I would like to thank everybody who responded to my inquiry about buffalo horn hilts.
Nobody asked me why was I interested in this esoteric issue. Well, here is an explanation, and a (sort of) continuation of my earlier query.

On a whim, I bought a kris I liked. IMHO, this is a Keris Bahari, but I am a complete keris newbie and would like to know more. Allegedly, it came from an old collection, and the same seller offered several more kerises, mainly of Java and Sumatra origins.

The blade is very meaty and quite sharp. It is strongly patinated, but there is no rust and no pitting except some small areas of forging flaws.

The hilt has sparse, but very precise and tasteful carvings at the base and on the very top ( kind of like a trefoil).

The blade and the cavity of the scabbard smell very strongly of camphor oil .

The scabbard is fully intact, with just a tiny crack at its upper part ( almost not noticeable). It is covered with some kind of black varnish? paint?, and there are tiny areas of paint losses under which one can see pale wood. One side of the scabbard is decorated with very simple and completely intact carvings ( this looks to me either incredibly well preserved or newish).

What did I buy?
Is it new and touristy? Or, hopefully, old and valuable, kind of Indonesian Excalibur :-) ?
Is it indeed K. Bahari ( remember, I am a newbie in this area)? Should anything be done to the scabbard in terms of removing the varnish and re-oiling it? Should the blade be cleaned ( pineapple juice, vinegar)? I am NOT going to play with arsenic:-) Any reason to polish the blade before using acid? Any other comments or suggestions?
Thanking everybody in advance.
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote