View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2014, 04:29 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

https://www.google.com/search?source...&fromMainBar=1

David,
I had lost the original link unfortunately and thought by simply entering the data and name of the forum anyone could look it up on Google. I was apparently wrong as it is difficult to use the search on the forum without joining etc.
I have a new computer and my skills are pretty shallow as it is, so I regret not having saved the images or links. I guess I get a bit nervous on posting links and photos due to restrictions etc.
I found links to a site discussing Russian markings as well as the forum which I believe this example with the crescent like guard, which had the same guard and blade but the guard was ribbed like a cavalry sabre.

I also discovered that in the 1970s a small number of reproductions of the M1827 were made, and in more recent times others made as well, but these are all with the usual cast brass hilt.

I would note that on reproductions, there are as far as I have known, never been these kinds of markings or stamps associated with either manufacturing control, issuance and acceptance or sometimes unit designations. While seemingly insignificant and inconsistent, such as the rather bold 'Zlatoust' and others, these had distinct meanings for the many bureaucratic designations of units, and the many districts they were in .

I will keep trying to find the other image I had of the sword I mentioned.
Its really pretty amazing how much data can be found online!!! and Im working at entering the new world of technology Its hard when you're old school and still using books and notes!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote