View Single Post
Old 4th October 2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
A good way to determine if it is rhino horn or not is to moisten your hand and grab the hilt and see if it feels sticky. If it does, it is rhino horn. This is why it was popular has a handle material. When your hands got sweaty they would not slip off because of the sticky nature of rhino horn. Bovine horn would not be sticky at all. Rhino horn comes in a variety of shades and the lighter coloration is not a concern. Let us know if it is sticky. I'll bet it is.

uh, oh, it is sticky. I tried moistening my hands and holding the hilt and it was definetely more sticky than the Pira with the horn handle or the horn handle khukuri. The horn on those was noticeably more sllippery. Don't have more pieces with known cow horn.

Any other tests?

I can see how a sticky sword handle would be a good idea if you got sweat and/or blood on it.

What about the translucency of it?

Guys, half the fun of collecting is showing pictures and pieces to friends.

Please look me up in Atlanta if any of you are ever visiting. I'd like to get your opinions.

And if you have questions on a particular piece, it is simple to get it down and take a few pix. I have a small studio permenantly set up, so this is easy.

I like to learn and have good freinds. Is this a great world or what?
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote