View Single Post
Old 31st January 2006, 03:33 PM   #15
Andrew

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Fearn,
Glad to have a friend on my side!
As to the jaw... I think the diameter of the tooth is comparable to that of the crossguard. My late cockapoo had something like that. Ain't no Rottweiler! I would vote for the Malay Jungle Dog : thousands of them roam around. They are smallish, look like Basenji, very independent and appealing. Pity one of them ended on that Dahb (I INSIST!)
With the multitude of styles and the poor pooch's earthly remains, this Dahb is a true "dog's breakfast"
lol. Ariel, I'm going to respectfully dissent as to your use of the word "dahb".

While "dahb" might be okay if this were a Thai sword, I would disagree with your application of the term to what is, by most accounts, a Kachin weapon. As Ian notes, the Kachin are a Tibeto-Burman people indigenous to the mountainous regions of Northern Burma, Assam and Southern China. The correct term for this sword in Burmese would be "dha" or , in Jinghpaw, "n'htu".

Also, I suggest that, if this mandible isn't from an infant or fetal tiger ( ), the Malay Jungle Dog probably doesn't range into the Mountains of Northern Burma. I'm far from certain about that, though.

Maybe a Burmese Mountain Dog? (Probably still too big, though).
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote