View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:48 PM   #15
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
Ian,

I wouldn't date the entire sword based solely on the scabbard. It could be a working life replacement. I believe, as Vandoo and Sajen do, that the barong itself is older than WW2.
Rick:

You are absolutely correct in noting that the barung, taken by itself, could possibly date from 1920-1930. This is the period to which Cato assigns the emergence of the kakatua style on Item 2. That style of kakatua is still being made. And yes, it is possible that the tagub could be a replacement. If so, it appears to be an old replacement.

That said, I prefer to deal with the data at hand. I have no reason to believe that the tagub has been replaced; the amount of wear on the scabbard seems commensurate with the hilt, and I think both are likely original to the blade. When a piece has seen some heavy action, as this one may well have, I don't think appearances alone are helpful in judging age. Rather, I prefer to look at the available evidence, as outlined in the original post of this thread.

Having made my case for what I think these two barung represent, I won't elaborate any further. Feel free to disagree. But please tell me also your collecting philosophy.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote