View Single Post
Old 21st August 2014, 11:16 PM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I also would pick the older barung ("A"), but keep in mind that this wasn't an either/or choice for the buyers of these weapons. They were not given a choice of one weapon OR the other. These auctions took place separately, one at a time. The reasons "B" sold for more could be many. Sometimes a bidding war gets crazy. Sometimes we take a shine to something and decide that we want it even if the price runs too high. That "B" sold for 55% more does not say that given the chose, more of those bidders wouldn't have chosen "A" over "B".
Absolutely correct David. This was not an either/or decision for the two buyers and the fact that the newer one went for more is probably explained by many factors. However, as collectors we do have some experience of how much various items should sell for, and what we are willing to pay. To what extent price factors into our decisions is something we all have to grapple with to some degree--there are few collectors with unlimited budgets.

I'm more concerned, though, with learning what people value in their collecting pursuits. I had a friend whom I met on eBay years ago who was determined to have one of every edged weapon he could find, new and old, high end and low end. He wanted the whole spectrum--European, Asian, Islamic, Pacific, etc. I have not seen him on eBay for several years, so perhaps he ran out of money or his wife said enough. In any case, he seemed at one end of the spectrum of collectors.

Why and what we collect seems a very personal statement of who we each are. Perhaps the question is too personal for some people to respond here. But maybe there are some brave souls who will venture more of their thoughts.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote