View Single Post
Old 16th July 2018, 07:42 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
i'm trying to learn (about javanese keris) here. Ok so, it is not majapahit... but is this considered a GOOD keris? i know 'good' is subjective... but can it be considered a high quality keris based on the shape, pamor and etc...

my first instinct is to say.. greneng don't look too good... the rest i can't say much...
True Green, such questions are indeed subjective and need further clarification. But there are a few things about this keris that we seem to know (probably). Firstly it does seem likely that the gonjo was replaced at some time. So can we judge this keris by its greneng? Perhaps as it stands now, but this says nothing about the original intent and execution of this keris. Also, given the rather thick pesi there is a strong possibility that this is indeed not a Javanese keris, but perhaps from either Bali or Lombak. If that is the case then we must judge it based upon its actual origin rather than how it measures up to other Javanese keris. We must also take its age into consideration and the condition that remains. It would probably be helpful to see the blade in full stain before we attempt to judge the pamor, for instance. There certain seems to be damage along parts of the blade such as the kembang kecang and there may or may not have been jenggot in this position. So all in all i think this might be a difficult question to answer. I always personally prefer to ask myself if a "like" a keris or if it "appeals or calls to me" rather than place a "good" or "bad" tag on it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote