View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 08:36 AM   #157
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
There is no mention of Ruth Hawley in the Saudia information...it simply shows a pic of a similar khanjar, and a statement that origin is Al Ahsa.

I would point out here that the caption against the khanjar in Ruth Hawley's book does not anywhere mention Muscat. In fact she says that the item was probably made in the Sharqiyah, which appears quite some distance from Muscat. I am assuming therefore that any mention of Muscat has originated from yourself? Do you have concrete/iron clad information to confirm this?

There are about 4 Museums in Muscat who can vouch for the Muscat Khanjar as Ruth Hawley does indirectly through her quite brilliant study in the days when Muscat hardly had a motor car or road in it! Her pamphlet stood alone and excellent in the years as Oman developed, though, now there is a huge body of work constructed with the support of the governments Historical Ministry... "The Richardson and Dorr book". What you may or may not realise is that this country has boomed since 1970 but that before that it was virtually in the dark ages ...It continues to update its portfolio on antiquity. It cannot have achieved perfection in a couple of decades and unlike western countries has not had centuries to get its ducks in a row. What has been achieved has been done since 1970...that is all. There may be a few gaps...but we are certain of the Muscat Khanjars position as an Omani style.

In Oman style of Khanjar does not always indicate place of manufacture(or vica-versa)...Thus for example I can have 5 or 6 different regions workshops make Royal Khanjars...or a Sharqiyah workshop make a Baatinah weapon ...Every Khanjar workshop is capable of making many designs. My workshop in Sohar can make Sur style but it's nowhere near Sur. Sometimes one Khanjar is made in several workshops...The hilt here, the scabbard there, the belt somewhere else. Thus a Sannau workshop may well have made the Muscat style in Ruth Hawleys booklet.

You say now ~
There is no mention of Ruth Hawley in the Saudia information...it simply shows a pic of a similar khanjar, and a statement that origin is Al Ahsa.

But you indicated something quite different previously...the style of Khanjar shown by Ruth Hawley, has been described by the King Faisal Center for Islamic Studies in Riyadh, as coming from the Al Ahsa area of Saudi Arabia.

However, it is your interpretation of something you saw in a pamphlet. More reason for you to have the Al Ahsa work put under the magnifying glass therefor I look forward to seeing your results. Once that is done it may be relevant to compare that work with other regional styles.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th May 2014 at 11:17 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote