View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 01:18 AM   #22
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Your one is also very very nice!

I don't think that it have to do something with that it is a left hand version (the one in up reach nearly the same price) but that good old talibon/garab are sought after and that the shown examples (incl. yours) are just beautiful swords.

Here another beautiful example which was sold from a german web site and was not cheap as well.

I think that you and I am just have had good luck to get our ones as bargain.

Regards,

Detlef
Thanks. I mentioned before, it is nice to see these Visayan weapons finally getting some recognition, as I do believe the originals are more rare than Moro weapons, and are crafted just as well. BUT, I just wished I got in to this collecting game sooner, as I feel I don't have enough fine examples, and now the prices are going through the roof.

I don't think I ever looked in to what the shape of the handle represents. Is it a bulb? Now I am curious. I just have to add also, that when I grasp mine in my hand, it actually feels awkward, since the pointed downward edge of the wooden handle pokes against the meat of my thumb on my palm. The whole ergonomics of the sword and the canted edge would make you think there was a lot of thought that gone in to this sword to make it as natural feeling as possible. But that very pointy wooden handle against my palm...Can't image how they could fight like that with it being in the way. It does feel unnatural...or am I missing something here?
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote