View Single Post
Old 19th November 2007, 03:21 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Yes, I've seen mention of this relief, but only mention.

I don't know where the relief is located, or where it may be seen. Is it still in situ, or off in a store house somewhere?

Personally, I like to see the reliefs . Reports and photos can often be unreliable. There are a number of cases where dedicated keris fanatics have doctored photos of reliefs to make things appear more keris-like. We really need to see the relief itself, and examine it closely, under magnification if necessary, and to try to find supporting evidence for what we think we might be seeing. Old stone carvings can become altered in shape over time.

It would be very nice if we could find something reliable that predates Prambanan.

When we are looking for an early form of keris, we probably need to keep our minds open as to exactly what we can consider to be "keris-like". My personal feeling is that at least we need asymmetry.

Tell me, why do you think that Sombro lived in East Jawa?

I've always thought of her, her antecedents, and descendants, as from Pajajaran, with the descendants making a later move to East Jawa, at the time of the exodus of iron workers from Pajajaran to East Jawa.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote