View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:25 AM   #52
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default The Curve on The Rhinos Horn..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Many good points, glad we both see as the truth Ibrahiim.

Glad to see also youve also added non slip grip to your observations, & shape of blade to!.... It seemed that way to me, hence my comments on this & the other thread, pointing this out earlier.

Personaly I think scabbard design looks nothing like a rhino horn & is just a practical evolution to hook underneath a belt or sash, to aid grip as the dagger is pulled.. After all Rhino horns are not nearly U shaped after all.

I think Terrs are made of, Rhino,Elephant, hippo, buffalo, whale & indeed any other thick heavy hide probably? They all work when thick enough...

Re.your point 5, I would agree with you if the nails were just on the pommel, as they usualy cover the entire front of the hilt. i think it more for the grip & decoration that there used?

Must say though that when it cones to blade design, no one on this earth usually uses a double sided dagger as a skinning knife, thats rather impracticle, when you add the central rib as well, which obviosley is for for stabbing penetration, it shows Jambiays prime function is not as a skinning knife. To me personaly it seems from its blade design to be a weapon for shallow slashing & deep stabbing wounds. Obviosly Originaly designed as weapon.

But of course thats just my thoughts, for what there worth....

Spiral

Salaams Spiral.. Yes I stole that point straight from your post about the grip...
What is known about Terrs material is mixed with some comments from European 19th Century passers by stating this or that material... Rhino waterbuffalo whale etc... What I have seen and what is visible in The Craft Herritage masterwork by Richardson and Dorr i.e. several material types including thick hide, wood and reed/ woven palm material...and these days rubber/ poly material...All that needs to be focussed with what I have only recently discovered after talking to some old fishermen..that there is a fish which barks ... called a dog of the sea (kelb mal bahr) or something like with huge teeth and flippers !!... that I assume is a Walruss ..and that the skin behind the neck at the shoulders is the favoured hide for Terrs. I have a couple of these Bucklers but I have no idea what the test is for Walrus hide!

Nails... The silver pins...ah good point except that this hilt may well have been transferred from a Muscat dagger..or from a Jazzan Hababi dagger; Now in Saudia Arabia all at # 17 on this thread. (Pictures 1 and 3) or even from a Salalah dagger #1 picture 4~ the black hilt to the right of frame. There is a slim chance that it could have originated from a Royal Khanjar since it is quite narrow at the top... It would certainly make sense to recycle the Rhino horn ~

Skinning blade. I agree that this blade is a defensive strike weapon... though it is said that the shape of the wide blade is also good for cutting and scraping the skin off the meat...whilst skinning. I've seen a camel and a few sheep and goats dropped with one cut but I agree it seems a bit cumbersome to use it for skinning though that is the tale. Lost in time this part I'm afraid... and until I can analize the Museums records its worth logging for later.

Ah!! The shape of the scabbard.. Funnily enough the horn design part that I speak about is not curved... It is a straight formation...with slight elongation on the top side. The curve takes place at the lower base of the Scabbard. see photo at # 1.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 3rd August 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote