View Single Post
Old 7th June 2022, 02:12 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

I wrote something about these child totogans some time back for a friend, I'm sure he will not object to me sharing it.

In fact, once the fangs come into the picture, it is not Rare Kumara, but Rare Angon.

Here is a lift from what I wrote:-

"--- these naked little boy figures can be understood as either Sang Hyang Rare Kumara who was Siwa's son --- adopted I think --- or as Dewa Rare Angon, who is an aspect of Siwa himself.

In Javanese "rare" is the alternative spelling of "lare" which is literary usage for "young child". Javanese literary usage is mostly from Kawi, which in turn is mostly Sanskrit. Sanskrit formed a large part of Old Javanese (as distinct from Modern Javanese) and Modern Balinese is based upon Old Javanese & the indigenous Balinese languages.

In Balinese language the word "rare" (the final "e" is accented= Pron:- 'Rahreh') means a baby or a young child, but when we use it as a part of a name, it becomes the name. "Sang Hyang" is a title for a God, "sang" is an epithet, "hyang" is a Hindu God title, this "Sang Hyang" is often represented as simply "Dewa" = the short title for a deity.

There is a wayang story that involves Dewa Rare (ie, Sang Hyang Rare) that boils down to him escaping danger, so Dewa Rare is regarded as the God of children who protects children. He is a part of the Yadnya ceremony, and also at least one of the ceremonies performed for the safety of a baby , I think it might be the seventh ceremony, not sure.

The other way a Rare motif can be understood is as an aspect of Siwa (ie, Shiva). This is Rare Angon, whose other names are Mahakala and Rudra.
In this case I would expect to see a representation of fangs in the motif, because Rare Angon has a demonic nature.

He is the son of Siwa and Uma. Story is more or less like this:- Uma had sex with a cowherd whose name was Rare Angon, but in reality, Rare Angon was Siwa in disguise. Lots more to the story but not relevant to this motif.---"
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote