View Single Post
Old 26th June 2021, 09:09 PM   #7
pbleed

Earlier this morning I prepared a response to the postings that were made to my inquiry about a European blade in a Japanese mount. I can assure you that I was witty and expressed deep gratitude to this community - - and then I managed to lose the file. Grrr!
The responses were very useful, tho and I want to acknowledge them. I will try to be more careful this time, but I assure you that my first draft was witty and pithy! I appreciate the reactions.
Jim’s response was – as usual - expert and useful. It was kind of in line with what I was thinking, but I have never had much contact with the 1796 British sabers and the ones I remember looking at all have those darn langets that hide the fullers, making it hard to know what they actually look like.
Bryce’s comments, of course, were comforting in that regard.
And I agree with David’s “twitchiness” about this blade. I am not ready to sell this sword, but I would like to present it in the collectors’ literature and I sure don’t want to publish a “fake.” We have all seen reworks and modifications, but I do NOT think that this is something that Bubba whipped up in his garage. I think it is “Japanese work.”
1. To be sure, this sword does NOT reflect the highest level of Japanese artistry. That is to be seen in the wonderful blade in the Leeds collection that Geraint reminded me of.
https://collections.royalarmouries.o...ect-54908.html
That sword shows us, however, that the Japanese were willing to treat foreign blades.
2. In addition to the overall “look”, two aspects of this tachi seem clearly “Japanese” to me. I think the polish really looks like a Japanese treatment, especially with the addition of a false “hamon.” I am also convinced that the clouds with dragon embellishments on the scabbard is ‘Japanese.’
3. There was, as well, a great fad in Japan during the late middle Edo period when wealthy fops like to get dressed up in foreign gear. I think this is the kind of thing that a wealthy guy could enjoy wearing when he was “on the town.”
Thanks for your help!
Peter
pbleed is offline   Reply With Quote