View Single Post
Old 25th June 2021, 05:18 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
G'day Peter,
At first glance I don't think this was a British 1796 pattern light cavalry sabre (Sorry Jim). The blade fuller and ricasso don't look right and neither do the scabbard bands. 1796's had a rat's tail tang. What sort of tang does this blade have? I will keep looking for what else it may be.
Cheers,
Bryce
No problem Bryce, I was looking forward to you coming in!
By the numbers, you are right, there do seem to be certain disparities, but the only alternative ostensibly was the Prussian 'Blucher sabel' 1811. These were for all intents and purposes nearly identical to the 1796, but in a short time the blades seem to have gotten lighter and so on.

There is a great deal of reprofiling on this blade, so its hard to say, but in looking again, the spine over the fuller does seem unusual. I think what always throws me off is that the M1796 blades were so in favor in India, that the form essentially remained produced for native cavalry units well through the 19th century. With different makers, and changes in production runs, I believe that this could still be a 'version' of the 1796 under British auspices for the 'Raj'.
This still fits the situational context I had described with India. This form blade remained in use through the 19th c., was profoundly exported, as well as copied i.e. the Blucher sabel......which did not find those export circumstances.

Those are my thoughts, but as British swords are your specialized field, naturally I look forward to your further ideas and findings.

All the best
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote