View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:45 AM   #10
Tordenskiold1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K View Post
Hello

The Scottish model pistols provided by the Crown to the Scottish regiments had a bronze stock and the firing system was the original Scottish, horizontal movement, with a window in the plate that let out an appendage that held the cock in half- cock and that was withdrawn to shoot, not like the specimen in this post, which has a vertical trigger, like in the French lock.
I think it is a modern reproduction. Raf has made it clear that the word TOWER is stamped and we still don't know what material the stock is made of. Maybe it's a reproduction of India, I don't know

Affectionately
Thank you for taking your time taking a good look at the pistols. It seems to me that the triggers are placed as you describe they should be on Schottish pistols. To answer your question. The pistols are made in all weapons grade steel with the type of pitting and minor rust as can be ecpected.

The black coating that is seen on the inside of the lock and inside the pistol is old oil or grease that is very sticky(it can be confused for unpolished steel on the photo). Photos attached in half and fully cocked. The springs are made well, making the lock fuction well.

The last photo is of a few other pistols signed by well known Gunsmiths, having collected pistols for over 40 years, I have tried to find something wrong with the Tower stamped pistol pair.

After checking the needles on the screws Udo(Corrado) says are not there in fact are there and fuction well and taking the pistols apart, checking Fernados constructions descriptions. I thank Raf for his constructive inputs.

Udo says the screws are just screws when they in reality have needles in the end that penetrates the touch holes and the all steel construction seems right. The inside of the locks are correctly made for the period 1780 - 1810. Based on what I can see, I am asking you humbly, Fernando to inform me your knowledge of who and were and when in India these pistols are made ?
Attached Images

Tordenskiold1721 is offline   Reply With Quote