View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2005, 01:57 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Andy,
You have a very interesting hybrid here, and I your observations noting the kaskara type blade and paluoar hilt similarities are well placed. I go along with Jens observation suggesting the plausibility of Sind with the hilt form.
There are interesting contrasts here in estimating possibilities for this sword, especially what appears to be a typical German trade blade possibly early to mid 19th c. of the type that characteristically entered North Africa to be mounted on kaskaras. In India, these probably came in via Arab trade in the northwest, and Sind is directly northeast of Karachi, which is of course a key port. Sind is known to have had distinct and often more apparant affinity for Persian styles in weaponry as noted in Egerton. It seems many of the shamshir type hilts on tulwars may be from regions in Sind.

What is key about this unusually mounted sword with tulwar hilt and broadsword blade is its association to the 'pattisa' *which is only vaguely described and loosely parallels the khanda. These are primarily Deccan weapons which toward the northwest were favored by Rajputs. It would seem a broadsword with this type hilt might suggest Rajput association in northwest frontier regions or even Sind further south.

*pattisa do not have the khanda hilt but an open hilt such as this and usually have a broadsword blade although with flared point.

The hilt does have certain characteristics that favor the paluoar, such as the bowl type pommel as well as slightly downward slope on the tulwar quillons. The hilt with vertical fluting is unusual, and one of the very few examples I have seen is one in Figiel (fig. 17c, PS9) which he suggests is a Persian shamshir. It has tulwar form hilt although different than this one, does have a version of this fluting. Something else significant to me is the appearance of the concentric circles motif. This is typically seen in Afghanistan on various weapons and usually in bone grips.

So here we have elements of influence from regions to the north, found on what may be a Rajput weapon from Sind, reflecting influences from the Deccan and even from the Mughal sphere far to the south in the use of brass, which is more characteristic there. Then with the use of a German trade blade more commonly found on kaskaras in Africa.
A fascinating anomaly !!!

Nicely done Andy!! I think you should seriously think about tickets to Las Vegas!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote